Want to put yourself in the best light?
If you want to grow your business, grow your network, and grow your influence consider how good you are at putting the spotlight on others. It’s natural to think “I want to grow my exposure, to be seen as the expert, and put the spotlight on me!” I’m not saying to never talk about your accomplishments or expertise. There are certainly times and places that this is important. What I am saying is that a great strategy for raising your profile is to shine the light on others.
When you publically acknowledge someone else, it makes you both look great.
Here are some ideas for spotlighting others:
- Give them a LinkedIn recommendation – If you haven’t done this before here’s how. You can do this for people you’ve heard speak, people you’ve worked with, people you’ve hired, and anyone you have a sincere positive opinion of their work.
- Give them social media love – Share their posts – this helps spread their thought leadership. Comment on their posts – this helps engagement and positively reinforces their ideas. Like their posts – this helps them get a dopamine hit, makes them feel good, and if they are looking will keep you on their mind as well.
- Get them on your podcast/livestream if you are hosting one – Or, refer them to people you know who are podcast/livestream hosts. In this way you are sharing their awesomeness with a larger community.
- Help them to expand their network – Refer them to people who will be good referral sources for them. For example, if you know a great mortgage broker introduce her to accountants and financial advisors who might be able to refer their clients to her.
- Refer them to or book them yourself for speaking engagements.
- Give their book a 5-star review on Amazon.
- Write about them in your blog – If they have an inspirational story or are a good example of your point mention them. Here’s a blog where I mentioned the good work that Bess Gallanis is doing. Or you can link to their blogs.
- Tell your friends about people you think are great at what they do – Shawne Duperon calls this good gossip. (Get what I just did there? )
- Nominate people for awards.
- Share their TEDx talks.
- Send them referrals.
Make shining the spotlight on others a priority. Set goals around how many boosts to other people’s platforms you’ll give.
Why spotlight others?
You will build huge amounts of what my friend Debra Poneman calls relationship capital. (Here’s my interview with Debra to learn more.) You’ll be seen as someone who is an influencer, a giver and someone people want to stay in touch with. You’ll also feel great in the process.
And most importantly … generous people are hot!
Think of your network as a campfire.
It’s stays hotter, the flames are brighter when you keep adding fuel to it. Tend to your fire. Fan the flames.
Light up your world with generosity!
Every good wish,
Click to subscribe to the Prosperity Tips newsletter.
Like this post? Click below to share…