Have you heard that you should have an abundance mindset as opposed to a scarcity one? What does that actually mean?
What is a Scarcity Mindset?
A scarcity mindset is where you believe that the pie is only so big. That for me to win someone else needs to lose. It’s the stuff of aggressive competition. It’s also super fear-based. Money worries about the future fall into this category. Thoughts that sound like these fall into this camp:
- The economy is a mess – it’s gonna be super hard to get ahead.
- What if I lose everything?
- There are no good jobs out there for people like me.
It’s also when you’re upset or jealous if someone in your circle is doing really well. “Why did they get such a great new job when I’m stuck in this crummy one?” Or even non-financial upsets like, “how did she get that great guy; I only meet losers?”
When you have a scarcity mindset you tend to feel constricted, jealous, and anxious. From this space it’s more difficult to find solutions and see possibilities.
Much of the traditional financial world lives in scare-city. I see this as the basis for many of our world problems…
What is an Abundance Mindset?
An abundance mindset is when you fundamentally believe there is more than enough to go around. That there are plenty of opportunities, jobs, great guys, love, etc. An abundance mindset is open to collaboration. When you win, I win too. You can tell you’re thinking abundantly when you are excited for someone else’s successes (no matter what’s going on in your life). Generosity lives here. When you’re in an abundance mindset you tend to feel expanded and optimistic. You are also more easily able to find solutions for difficult situations and to see more opportunities.
It’s not just about having a supportive mindset, it’s also about taking wise, inspired actions.
Having the right mindset is crucial – and – there must be more. You must act on your own good intentions.
- If you are thinking abundantly and don’t take any real action these are just wishes – lottery tickets may live in this quadrant.
- If you are thinking scarcity thoughts and don’t do anything, you’re setting yourself up to feel really nervous about money.
- If you are taking action but doing it from a viewpoint of scarcity you’ll be clinging to money, material belongings, and status. Notice I said clinging not saving. It’s the energy behind your actions that helps determine your contentment level.
And…drum roll please:
When you have an abundance mindset and set it into action, prosperity on purpose has room to flourish. Having an abundance mindset is one of the most important factors in not only being prosperous but feeling so as well.
Every good wish,
P.S. When you’re ready and the time is right, let me know if you want to have a conversation about how to listen to and understand your own thoughts and beliefs when it comes to money. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and put “money thoughts” in the subject line.
Click to subscribe to the Prosperity Tips newsletter.
Like this post? Click below to share…